Friday 19 June 2015

Baked Fries and Chicken Wings


This is a photo of last night's supper...home made fries and baked chicken wings.  Since I had the oven turned on for one thing, I thought I'd capitalize on it and make the whole meal a baked one.  Last year, I'd read about Gwyneth Paltrow's no-fry fries, seen just about every cook on the web give them a try and. finally tried them myself.  The rest is history as they say as we have been enjoying them this way ever since.  The recipe has many slight variations but all are very simple. Here is what I do...

              Baked Fries


2 pounds russet potatoes, cut into wedges
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Soak cut fries in a bowl of cold water for at least 10 minutes.  Drain and pat dry; combine potatoes with olive oil and salt and toss.
Bake till lightly brown about 45 minutes.

I love chicken wings.  When we cross the border into the U.S. at Ogdensburg, N.Y., we always go to a restaurant called Vinn's where we enjoy the wings.  They seem to be their specialty; they are always the same...delicious, and you can have them with any number of sauces. 

Here is one of my recipes...I alternate  between maple syrup or honey depending on how I feel.

            

            Maple Chicken Wings  


20 chicken wings
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. brown sugar
one half to one cup maple syrup depending on how sweet you like things
one third cup chili sauce
one half  cup diced onion
one half tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

I mix this all together and let sit for an hour; spread on a baking sheet and pour all the sauce over them, then bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.  I try to flip them over half way along. 

No comments :