Friday 26 June 2015

Homemade Pizza for Saturday Night


 I often make homemade pizza especially for a Saturday night meal.



 I've been making my own version of pizza for many decades and like the way I can change up the ingredients.  It is a great way to serve casual company too...just have all the choices chopped and ready to apply and everyone can make their own. This one pictured has a very simple pizza sauce made with chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce and fried onions to which I added a little honey.  It was tasty and couldn't get much easier than that.

 You can't tell from the photo but there is asparagus, spinach and red and orange peppers on it too. I grated a little mozzarella over all of it.  It was a great Saturday night meal.


Before it went in the oven...I had a hard time getting the dough to comply and stay on the edges, but I don't think it is the kind of thing that has to look perfect.  Warning: Nothing I make looks perfect!


Here is our decades old bread machine.  It is a Panasonic and used to work well though it never did  some of the fancier things the newest are able to do.  I used it often to make a loaf of peasant bread for hubby who just loves his bread.  Since there are no preservatives, this bread does not stay fresh any where near as long as store bought.  Then I used it to make up a batch of croutons; I just chopped the leftover  bread into sort of squares, tossed in olive oil and a little salt and baked in the oven at 500 degrees on broil setting for a few minutes till lightly browned.  Yummy too.

I found the bread machine very convenient for making my own pizza dough.  I would let it go through the regular procedure till the dough had risen but not started to bake.  I removed it and covered in a bowl till I was ready to use it.
 Perhaps you have a pizza dough setting on your bread machine; I understand newer models do and I can't wait to get one. 


No comments :