Tuesday 9 June 2015

Did You Know You Can Rent a Chicken?

Breakfast done here now.  I wanted to spoil Hubby as I will be away for supper babysitting older grandson while his mom works.  I know what pleases him...his favourite foods begin with B...bacon, biscuits and bread.  So I included two of his favourite B food words...the bacon and bread, and sure enough, he was all smiles.

Just catching up on a few of the local papers.  We get a couple of farming journals and I like reading the articles about cows, sheep and chickens.  Sometimes the farmers version of why coyotes are bad, for instance, is different food for thought than what the media has made of it.  Sometimes I learn about invasive species of flowers and how a farmer can control them.  The purply Dame's Rocket for instance that I admire in its clumps around the driveway is nothing but a nuisance to farmers.


I also love to see the photos of the 4H kids with their prize winning animals.  What a great thing for children to do.   Dr. David Suzuki says we humans should live with other species; it teaches us about our world in a way that nothing else can which I believe.

Speaking of which, did you know you can rent a chicken?  I guess these programs are available in many cities.  Bylaws might allow you one chicken in your backyard.  One of the things I envy about Martha Stewart is her chickens.  She so often would visit their hen house on her show and collect fresh eggs and point out differences in the various hens milling around.  She had some beauties, as you would expect.
Anyway, you can rent a chicken here for about $400 a year.  I am so tempted.




The folks at Rent The Chicken have worked out a lot of the details for you including providing the coop, but I have no idea if this works out as well as they say on their site.  They deliver to many U.S. states as well as Ontario and Prince Edward Island.  Interesting.

Son-in-law spied a sign for fresh eggs one day and bought up several flats of what are called Pee Wees.  Did you know that when hens first begin laying, they lay eggs that are very small and sometimes misshapen? Well, misshapen only compared to the store bought ones we know.  It is through chemicals that hens in industry lay large eggs and perfectly shaped ones right away.  I did not know that and feel awful about it.


He gave me one of the flats of Pee Wees; I think it cost $1.75 for these and you can see the variety in sizes.  Littler grandson can eat several at a time.  Their yolks are very lemon which is the only difference I can see.



                                                Can you spot the regular egg?

No comments :