Monday 14 September 2015

Fresh Peach Pie

Ontario peaches have come into ripeness and what a great thing to wind down the summer's fresh offerings.  Ontario grows about 80% of the country's peaches and baskets of them are lining every fruit stand and supermarket counters these days. Besides the fact that peaches are low in sodium, fat and calories, I don't think you can find a better taste than that of a fresh peach.  There was no question in Hubby's mind as to what I should make with the basket I picked up.  Pie.


I always use the same recipe for the pastry.  It really is tried and true and I only use Crisco shortening too.  I am tempted at times to try a different one, but then think, if it ain't broke why fix it.  The post when I talked about my fresh Blueberry Pie with pastry recipe is HERE.

  These peaches were smallish so I used all the ones you see here.  These are free stone and the flesh pulls away from the pits easily.

 Here is what I mixed with the sliced peaches...

                  1/3 cup sugar (these were very sweet peaches)

                  1/3 cup flour

                  a tsp. of cinnamon

                  a tablespoon of lemon juice


I gave the crust a brush with beaten egg and baked it in a 425 degree oven for about 50 minutes.  I always make a tin foil collar for the pastry rim so it doesn't get too brown in the baking. 



Interesting fact about peaches: Prehistoric and first cultivated by the Chinese, peaches symbolize immortality and friendship for them.



 Hubby says they symbolize good eating to him. 

No comments :