Monday 2 May 2016

Free Vintage Patterns and A Couple of My Vintage Things

This post was originally published May 2, 2016 and now updated.

I've discovered that writing a blog is a great way to keep a journal like record of  bits and pieces of my life.
  As well, it prompts me to take photos which I probably would not bother doing.  I definitely would not be celebrating my handiwork the way recording it online is encouraging me to do so.  I've stitched, sewed, knitted and crocheted all my life but rarely shared it, definitely not the process.  Even my mother did not realize I could crochet till she read my blog and asked how did I learn.  I couldn't remember; it feels like I always knew how.
 The blog also helps me see how long it takes me from start to finish on my many projects.  I usually think I've been working on one a lot longer than I have which is interesting.
  So blogging is good for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is providing a needlework record.  I encourage anyone who is toying with the idea of starting a blog to go for it...jump in.

Here is a little hanging I made for Hubby and me six years ago.  I loved working the embroidery on this. It is Hedgegrow Wreath from Crabapple Hill Studio and I added our initials in the middle.



Here is a vintage style appliqued and embroidered basket top that I made 7 years ago (I'm so happy to still have it.) Meaning: It survived my fire.
I have a strong memory of the enjoyment I felt making this too. Sorry I can't remember who designed it.  But when I examine the chain stitches I can see I'm not as neat and tidy with my stitching as I used to be.  I guess the hands are not as steady which is a little disappointing.
I can see I quilted in the ditch with a pink thread; I wonder why I chose that.
Happy May!
I read that May in the Southern Hemisphere is the equivalent of November for us here in the North.
What an amazing place this planet is! 

This vintage embroidery transfer of Lily of the Valley and Hawthorn, flowers for May, has been in my files for several years.   This and patterns for all the months as well as many more vintage motifs are free from the wonderful Pattern Bee site.



Another pretty free vintage pattern is available from The Spruce Crafts site.
Vintage-Inspired Bloom Frame Embroidery Pattern

The wonderful (as I think of her) Mary Corbet at her equally wonderful site, Needle n' Thread, offers a huge bank of free embroidery and cross stitch patterns. Click on Patterns in her headings to do some exploring.


                              Hand Embroidery Pattern: Art Needlework Daisies
Another site that provides lots of information about vintage embroidery and quilting is Q is For Quilter. Martha used to run a Free Friday pattern post, such as this one, Bird with Polka Dot Dishes. Though this site has not been updated, all the posts are still available including patterns.
LW-918-birds-and-dishes-1

No shortage of inspiration and patterns to be found around the internet, vintage and otherwise.

It's like I misplaced a whole month because I honestly don't know where April went.
Do you feel like that too?

No comments :